> Bad luck, it is still failing with random errors, but more related to
> the platform:
>
> On a Suse ZLinux (s390x) installation (and a pair of times on AIX
> servers) I get this error related to MySQL: "MySQL server has gone
> away".
> And I still get these random errors on AIX. I think that it might be
> caused by a bug in ruby, maybe related to pthreads library :?

Finally I tested compiling a newer version of ruby (ruby-1.8.7-p174 =>
ruby-1.8.7-p302) and without pthreads (./configure --disable-pthreads)
and it seems that it fixes the problem. Now I am not getting
Segmentation Faults or random ruby syntax errors on AIX.

But I still have the "Mysql::Error: MySQL server has gone away" error,
both on AIX and ZLinux. Somebody opened a new ticket in the traker:
http://projects.reductivelabs.com/issues/4694

--
Atentamente
Héctor Rivas