Thanks for the suggestion. I tried, oh maybe a hundred or so
variations of installing that gem, trying an earlier version and even
downloading the source and trying it that way. No dice. It simply
won't compile against the 64-bit mysql libraries. I'm not even sure it
was understanding the ARCHFLAGS variable. It could be that there's
specific syntax for use on Solaris that I wasn't using. I tried using
env ARCHFLAGS and export ARCHFLAGS, even just setting the variable
normally via the standard declaration/export.

I was able to build it against the 32-bit libraries, but then the
dashboard install fails.

Seems strange to me though. Puppet seems to be designed to manage
servers at an enterprise level, so all of my machines are 64-bit and
most of the apps they run are 64-bit, so why would I have to install a
32-bit MySQL database just to run the puppet dashboard?