Hello Jeff,

     This is the "only" class(s) I'm running on this host:

class basics{
      include basics::collect
      @@host { "$fqdn": ip => $ipaddress, host_aliases => $hostname,
tag => "${application}"}

class basics::collect {
     require basics
     Host<<| tag == "${application}" |>>

This is what the host file looks like:
# HEADER: This file was autogenerated at Tue Sep 21 12:51:18 -0400
2010
# HEADER: by puppet.  While it can still be managed manually, it
# HEADER: is definitely not recommended.
127.0.0.1       localhost.localdomain   localhost

There are no other hosts declarations. i.e,

grep -iR "host {" /etc/puppet/
/etc/puppet/modules/basics/manifests/init.pp:      @@host { "$fqdn":
ip => $ipaddress, host_aliases => $hostname}
/etc/puppet/modules/basic/manifests/hosts.pp_bak:      host
{ 'test_host_for_puppet':
/etc/puppet/modules/basic/manifests/init.pp:      @@host { "$fqdn": ip
=> $ipaddress, host_aliases => $hostname, tag => "${func_group}"}

Only basic has another host export / collection... but I'm not using
that one right now, just "basics".  It's pretty confusing, as now I
can't even do the collection without any  filtering. i.e,

class basics{
      include basics::collect
      @@host { "$fqdn": ip => $ipaddress, host_aliases => $hostname}

class basics::collect {
     require basics
     Host<<| |>>

err: Could not retrieve catalog from remote server: Error 400 on
SERVER: Exported resource Host[fqdn] cannot override local resource on
node node.dev.domain.com

Thanks,