On Tue, Oct 5, 2010 at 12:16 AM, ncantor <ncan...@gmail.com> wrote:
> However, by default, the package isn't called by anything.

There's also a subtle shift in thinking that may help you work with
puppet.  In the puppet language, resources are "declared" rather than
"called"  It's a bit strange because many resources actually look like
function calls, especially when you start defining your own resources,
but they really do not behave much like functions, procedures or
methods in other languages.

If you shift your thinking to "I am declaring the configuration of
this package resource" rather than "I am calling this package
resource" the language might make more sense.  In puppet, the idea is
not to write procedures and actions but rather to declare the desired
state.  In most cases declaring the desired state is enough for puppet
to "figure out" the actions to carry out to get the system into that
state.

This is why puppet was able to, and did, take action on your systems
without you actually telling it to install the package.  Instead, you
told it you wanted the package installed.  See the subtle difference?

Hope this helps,
--
Jeff McCune
http://www.puppetlabs.com/