What you'll probably want is the tagged() function, not defined().

Someone correct me if I am wrong, but defined() is useful for checking
if types or classes exist ("are known about") but does not check
whether a class is DECLARED - there's a difference. Note the
documentation sentence "This is useful for checking whether a class is
defined and only including it if it is".

So if you have a master imports a manifest with a class called "foo"
then:

if defined(foo) == true (always)
if tagged(foo) == true (only if your node has 'include foo')

What Felix says about the defined() function I beleive only applies to
checking for specific resources, which depends on the specific parse
order (and all you have to do is run 'puppetd --noop --test --
evaltrace' to see the parse order changes ALL the time).