All,

I would suggest taking a look at OpenSCAP and the SCAP initiative led by
NIST.

It is an Open Standard and to me, the concepts act as the validation
side of Puppet enforcement.

http://www.open-scap.org/page/Main_Page
http://scap.nist.gov/revision/index.html
http://oval.mitre.org/

Thanks,

Trevor

On 10/20/2010 02:21 AM, Al @ Lab42 wrote:

> On Oct 19, 10:52 pm, Nicolas Szalay <nsza...@qualigaz.com> wrote:
>> ----- "Al @ Lab42" <lab42...@gmail.com> a écrit :
>>
>> | Hi List,
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> | I would like to discuss with whoever is interested one topic that I
>> | suppose has general interest.
>> |
>> | I want to implement some kind of automatic testing on the status of a
>> | node after a Puppet Run.
>> | These tests involve trivial and less trivial things things like:
>> | - A local service is running
>> | - A local port is open
>> | - A remote server on a remote port is reachable by the node
>> | - An URL replies with an expected content
>> | - Some specific function needed by the node and provided by a remote
>> | host is working (ie: ldap acces for users authentication, ntp
>> | sync...)
>> | - Whatever other check that asserts that the node is correctly
>> | working
>> |
>> | I want to do this directly in my modules, at least for the checks
>> | that  are directly related to the resources provided by the module
>> | and
>> | build some defines to manage quickly things like "check the url" or
>> | "check if the remote port is accessible".
>> |
>> | The point is to have a solid testing infrastructure, early
>> | notification of any problem that might take place after a Puppet run
>> | and, at the same time have a sort of monitoring logic that might be
>> | used also by other tools, like Nagios.
>>
>> Do you know about puppet-cucumber ?
>
> Yes, but as far as I've understood, puppet-cucumber is run on the
> Puppet Master and check resources managed by Puppet.
> I'd like also to make checks that might not be directly related to
> Puppet resources (but might be broken by a wrong config pushed via
> Puppet).
>

>> | In order to achieve something like this  there are different
>> | approaches and I would like to follow what seems most sane and,
>> | mostly, what could better fit the evolution of the Puppet ecosystem.
>> |
>> | Here a pair of examples:
>> |
>> | - APPROACH 1 - CHECK TRIGGERED BY PUPPET  NODE
>>
>> This is an easy approach but how will you push information back to you ? I
>> have not checked but I don't think that the result of post run hooks are
>> included into reports
>
> In fact, and that's a reason why I don't prefer this approach, because
> you should build your own reporting stuff.
>

>> | - APPROACH 2 - CHECK RUN BY AN MCOLLECTIVE CLIENT ON THE PUPPET NODE
>>
>> I would use that one, combined with nagios through the mc nrpe agent
>> probably or something like a hudson instance to do a permanent check about
>> this.
>
> +1
>

>> | Another point is how to organize and define the checks' list.
>> | Cucumber
>> | seems a nice and somehow "standard" way to define the checks logic,
>> | but could be also a plain execution of the different checks from a
>> | sort of wrapper script.
> [...]

- --
Trevor Vaughan
 Vice President, Onyx Point, Inc.
 email: tvaug...@onyxpoint.com
 phone: 410-541-ONYX (6699)
 pgp: 0x6C701E94

- -- This account not approved for unencrypted sensitive information --