On Sun, Oct 31, 2010 at 11:44:51PM -0700, Leonko wrote:
> Hello, Bruce. At now we have hard dependence between file storage, db
> server and appserver. If it chain broken at any phase we get the
> message from zabbix.

But that's not a problem.  Zabbix is monitoring software: it *should*
tell you when important services are broken.

> And we try it automatize this action.

Fine.  But you can't use a single puppet run to make it all happen.  Use
puppet on the database server to make sure that postgresql is running
properly and use puppet on the application host to make sure that the
application server is running *if* the database server is available.
Puppet can automate that much for you.

If you want to have the minimum time between the database server coming
up and the application server starting, there are a number of ways you
could do that; the application host could be checking the db connection
on a regular basis, for instance, or the db server could signal the
application host once the app is up.  But really, your best plan is to

 1.  Make sure that your database service is up early, as resilient as
you can make it and rarely restarted.

 2.  Make your application server tolerant of database downtime (that
is, have the applications generate sensible errors while the db is down
and recover when it is up, rather than just crash and require an
application server restart).

--
Bruce

Bitterly it mathinketh me, that I spent mine wholle lyf in the lists
against the ignorant.  -- Roger Bacon, "Doctor Mirabilis"