On Tue, Nov 02, 2010 at 09:35:24AM +0000, Michael Gliwinski wrote:
> On Tuesday 02 Nov 2010 01:53:34 Bruce Richardson wrote:
> > nsscache is probably at fault.  Try removing it from nsswitch on
> > a machine which has shown this problem and then see how that affects
> > things.
>
> Why do you think nsscache could be a problem?

It and nscd often are.  Better to ensure that your LDAP directory is
resilient and responsive.  Configure pam and nsswitch so that you can
still get into a box as a non-LDAP user in the worst case scenario where
LDAP is inaccessible.  Caching the directory just causes a whole new
special kind of latency issues while making problems harder to debug.

--
Bruce

I unfortunately do not know how to turn cheese into gold.