++ RIP, I've piloted mcollective but have not yet deployed as a standard C&C tool. It is the future IMO, so if you're starting from scratch, it's probably what you want to go with, as I sort of view puppet as not being the tool for this job

For this stuff now, I use a combo of Nagios and capistrano. Nagios can tell me when nodes are out of date via the check_cluster plugin (info generated dynamically from puppet) as a cluster of the check_apt plugin. Capistrano can easily pull my nodes from puppet stored configs, dynamically stuff them into roles based on hostname (mcollective does not have the limitation of relying on hostnames), and I can update to various groups of hosts based on OS, DC/location, or type of service such as webservers, smtp servers, etc. I suppose some logic could be coded into my capfile to get this info more gracefully than simple hostname parsing, but at that point I would just deploy mcollective.

I have some really simple code I can share if you need to, but I am warning you right now, capistrano is not a scalable tool. It barfs, last time I checked, on more than 30 or so simultaneous ssh connections. This could be a limitation of the ssh-agent, but I've worked around it and haven't done any stress testing in months.

Security stuff like CVE's would be a little more involved. The company I work for scans for this stuff, but we don't really have an automated fix integration process. We generate remediation reports, but that just tells a human what to do.

Like I said, mcollective is the future for this kind of stuff, but cap is sort of easier to get going with since it's plain ssh connections. I guess it depends on a few factors like, size of your infrastructure, how quick you need it, etc. If you have time, go with mcollective.