I am having a great deal of trouble using a custom fact in a module and I am
hoping someone can help me out.

I am using  facter-1.5.0-2.el4 and  puppet-0.24.5-1.el4. I know these are
really old versions.

The custom fact is defined using an environmental variable

export FACTER_VERTICAL="dev fit"

and I can see the fact in the output of facter

[xxxxx ~]# facter | grep -i vertical
                 vertical => dev fit

In the module I am trying to use the fact in the following way

file    { "/etc/yum.repos.d/env32-envision.repo":
                ensure => present,
                mode     => 0664,
                owner    => root,
                group    => root,
                content   => $vertical ? {
                        "dev fit" =>
template("ads_yum2/env32-dev-fit.repo.erb"),
                        default =>
template("ads_yum2/env32-dev-staging.repo.erb"),
                require => File["/etc/yum.repos.d/base_os.repo"],

When I restart puppet the output is the default option instead of the "dev
fit" option. If I run puppet interactively "puppetd --debug --test" I get
the correct output based on the custom fact. I understand that puppet will
not inherent environmental variables but since the fact is present I thought
this approach would work. Am I wrong?

I have been banging my head against the wall over this for some time. I
appreciate any input.

Thanks

Ed