On Tuesday 09 Nov 2010 15:06:28 Pieter Baele wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I would like to query the puppetmaster (or the puppet nodes...) for some
> facts and display/use these in an external web application (written
> django) using the certificates from Puppet.
>
> What's the correct (nice) way to do this? REST?
> Can I find some code examples for this?
Hi,

I'm looking at doing a similar thing for Edison [0] (also written in Django!).

For the moment, I've written "pyfacter" - a basic python wrapper around the
command line [1] - however I'd like to improve on this if possible.

One thing I was planning on looking at was writing a python client for
MCollective and using the audit tools available as part of MC to collect the
facts either into a database or at runtime but that requires the ability to
use Python with MC (nudge @rip :P)

The only other solution I can think of is a cronjob that runs on each host on
a regular basis and posts/puts to an API to fill the relevant field in the
database.

Kind regards,

Matt

[0] https://github.com/proffalken/edison