On Nov 11, 2010, at 6:26 PM, donavan wrote:
> From your comment in #3958 I think autosign[1] with "*.domain.tld"
> would work for you.

Nope. Because "autosign" doesn't also "auto-overwrite".

- New Host "foo001.domain.tld" is created
- Certs are exchanged for foo001 with the puppetmaster, life is good, autosigned
- Host foo001.domain.tld is retired
- Replacement Host "foo001.domain.tld" is created
- foo001 tries to talk to puppetmaster, presenting brand new certs. They don't
match what the master has for that host. It tells foo001 to pound-sand.

At that point, I have to manually log into the CA and clean out the
certificates for foo001. I also have to go out to foo001, and blow away all ITS
certs, since it's been given a cert it has no idea what to do with.

It's just ugly. Like I said in my ticket notes, I'll concede that for some
people, it's a necessity, but there's clearly also a set of people for whom it
is just unnecessary pain and suffering.