I use Puppet to watch and maintain the configuration of my systems to
meet the requirements of automated Configuration Management.

I use Monit to watch my more time-critical parts of the system;
usually services which I want to make sure are running. Monit usually
runs in a 1 minute cycle and has a simple configuration.

If you need to watch more intently, look at inotify which watches for
file access, changes or other operations on the file system.

Looking at your question; the puppet client runs as a process and
checks in with the puppetmaster based on the interval defined. I have
Monit running to make sure that if for any reason puppet process dies,
it will be restarted immediately.