On Nov 22, 3:21 pm, "russell.fulton" <russell.ful...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Over the last few weeks I have several times felt the need to test out
> some small snippets of puppet code without having to have them in my
> live system.
>
> At the moment I am doing all my testing by fiddling with file on the
> puppet master and then invoking puppet on one of the clients. There
> must be a better way :)

I suggest taking a look at 'cucumber-puppet'[1]. I'm primarily using
it to test catalog compilation, but you can inspect individual
resources as well.
RI also has some great tools to testing and comparing[2] catalogs. You
can compare changes before you actually apply to 'new' catalog to the
clients.

[1] http://projects.puppetlabs.com/projects/cucumber-puppet
[2] https://github.com/ripienaar/puppet-catalog-diff