On Dec 2, 2010, at 1:03 PM, Sid wrote:

> ruby: 1.8.7.302-4
> ruby-augeas: 0.3.0-1.el5 (EPEL)
> augeas-libs: 0.7.3-1.el5 (EPEL)
> puppet: 2.6.4
>
> I am unable to get Puppet/Augeas to update the sysctl.conf file when
> using the following configuration. I have tested changing the file
> with augtool and that works. Puppet fails silently though.
> Suggestions?
>
> class haproxy {
>      package {
>          "haproxy": ensure => "1.4.8-1" ;
>      }
>
>       augeas {
>               "ip_forward":
>               changes => "set /files/etc/sysctl.conf/net.ipv4.ip_forward 0";
>       }
> }

Just some general advice, it's usually better to use single-quotes with Augeas
so you have a smaller chance of puppet's string expansion screwing things up.
I'm pretty sure this has nothing to do with your problem though.

I do the exact same thing.  Here's my manifest:

        augeas { "ip-forwarding":
                context => "/files/etc/sysctl.conf/",
                changes => "set net.ipv4.ip_forward 0",
        }

Note that you are using semi-colons and not commas.  Does that fix it?