On Dec 5, 3:19 am, Paul Johnson <gentoo.ser...@gmail.com> wrote:
> sorry, forgot to mention that the target file (/tmp/bar) exists and it
> shouldn't be optional. I tried adding 'ensure => file' as you guys
> suggested but without luck, it still produces the same error. As to
> reporting this as a bug, there is an official bug
> (http://projects.puppetlabs.com/issues/5065),

That's helpful, thanks; I wasn't aware there was an existing ticket on
this topic.

> but apparently it was
> considered as a "documentation bug" and Luke said this construction
> should work ok:
>
> ---------------
> According to Luke:
>
>     It is supposed to work that way, kind of - this behaviour changed
> recently and the docs apparently haven't been updated. The correct way
> to do this is now: file { "/tmp/bar": audit => content } exec {
> '/usr/bin/true': refreshonly => true, subscribe => File['/tmp/bar'] }
> So this is a documentation issue.
> ---------------
> But it doesn't work for me, that's why I'm asking if it is only me
> facing this error due to some reasons or it is not a documentation bug
> and needs to be fixed. Unfortunately there was no reply to this bug
> for more than a month and IDK how longer it'll take to review this bug
> if it really exists (if it's not my configuration problem). Could
> anyone try this construction on your end and see if it produces the
> same error? Thanks in advance.

I am not running 2.6, so I cannot test this for you.  I observe,
however, that the last comment on the ticket reports that with Puppet
2.6.3-rc2, the error message you report does not appear, but the exec
still doesn't run.  I suspect that means there is indeed an
outstanding bug.

I recommend you file a new ticket to report that the new behavior Luke
described in ticket #5065 is not working.  You should call out the
fact that the error message that was reported to have disappeared in
2.6.3-rc2 is back in 2.6.3-rc3; if that checks out then it may help
narrow down the problem.  Alternatively, if you can find and update a
ticket describing the actual behavior change Luke described then that
might be better, but I didn't have any luck finding such a ticket.

Good Luck,

John