So there is something wrong with the date of the certificate. When I
do "openssl x509 -text -in -noout /etc/puppet/ssl/certs/client.pem |
grep -A2 Validity", I get:

Validity
Not Before: Dec 7 14:08:10 2010 GMT
Not After : Dec 6 14:08:10 2015 GMT

However, the current date of the client is Dec 8 which is well within
the valid range. The date is also the same as master server. But when
I change the date of the client to Dec 9, everything works fine and I
don't get that certificate verify failed error anymore. This is
baffling! Any idea how to fix this? Thanks!