You can name it whatever you like.  'puppet' is the default.  In your client's
puppet.conf files, add the line:

server = puppetmaster_hostname

under the [agent] section if running version 2.6 and [main] section if running
version 0.25.  It also doesn't hurt to add this line to your puppetmaster's
puppet.conf file under the [master] (2.6) or [puppetmasterd] (0.25):

certname = puppetmaster_hostname