Puppet will, by design, apply classes in a random order.  To specify the order,
you want to use the "require" parameter.

   exec { "echoone":
        command => "/bin/echo $var1",
   }
   exec { "echotwo":
        command => "/bin/echo $var2",
        require => Exec['echoone'],
   }
   exec { "echothree":
        command => "/bin/echo $var3",
        require => Exec['echotwo'],
   }

Stages are for when you want something to run before (or after) everything else.