I now  have my service status command that does a kill -0 on all the
pid and return 1 if all the processes are running.  I have this class/
service definition:

   class snort($master) {
      service{
        "snort.$master":
             start => "sudo -u snort /home/snort/bin/restart-snort
$master" ,
            restart => "sudo -u snort /home/snort/bin/restart-snort
$master" ,
            stop => "sudo -u snort /home/snort/bin/restart-snort -stop
$master",
            status => "sudo -u snort /home/snort/bin/restart-snort -
status $master",
            ensure => running,
            subscribe => [ File[ "/home/snort/conf/$master/snort.conf", "/
home/snort/conf/$master/barnyard.conf"]],

but puppet always decides that the process is not running and tries to
start it.

notice: /Stage[post]/Monitor::Snort/Service[snort.dmzi]/ensure: ensure
changed 'stopped' to 'running'

Is there any way I can get more diagnostics than that returned by --
test?