On Mon, Dec 13, 2010 at 11:16 PM, Dmytro Bablinyuk <bablin...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Everybody,
>
> I have 2 machines, one that running puppetmasterd and another one that
> running client.
> Both run Ubuntu.
>
> First I installed 2.25.4 (I think) version and then I have upgraded
> Puppet to 2.6.4
>
> Server does not have any DNS entry, so I am trying to use IP address
> for the client to connect. Client generates some certificate error.
>
> r...@puppet-client-ubuntu:~# puppetd --server 172.16.48.105 --
> waitforcert 60 --test
> info: Retrieving plugin
> err: /File[/var/lib/puppet/lib]: Failed to generate additional
> resources using 'eval_generate': hostname was not match with the
> server certificate
> err: /File[/var/lib/puppet/lib]: Could not evaluate: hostname was not
> match with the server certificate Could not retrieve file metadata for
> puppet://172.16.48.105/plugins: hostname was not match with the server
> certificate
> err: Could not retrieve catalog from remote server: hostname was not
> match with the server certificate
> warning: Not using cache on failed catalog
> err: Could not retrieve catalog; skipping run
>
> r...@puppet-client-ubuntu:~# puppet --version
> 2.6.4
>
> I am very new to Puppet and most likely I am missing something very
> simple.

The hostname 172.16.48.105 used in --server option does not match the
CN or Subject Alternative Name presented in the certificate.

If you are using defaults, add an entry in /etc/hosts for puppet to
172.16.48.105 and connect without the --server option (server hostname
puppet is used by default).

I recommend reading Bruce's blog entry for more details:
http://www.masterzen.fr/2010/11/14/puppet-ssl-explained/

Thanks,

Nan