I was attempting to set up some cron jobs via puppet.

I was trying to get cron to mail the output of the cron jobs to a specific
user, so I was
attempting to set mailto=u...@example.com, via the environment => specifier.

Puppet did as it was told.

Unfortunately, I guess that Solaris 10 does not support setting of environment
variables in crontab files (directly), so
when puppet attempted to install the generated crontab, the "crontab install
command" failed, and without an error or warning.

It took some painful hand experimentation to figure out the problem.

Also, FYI, I guess Solaris 10 doesn't support the MAILTO env variable anyway,
so that is my problem.

I changed my manifest, and all is working now, but

        a) wanted to document this on the mailing list in case someone else
goes down this path
        b) this might be a bug in the solaris10 cron implementation of puppet….

Don