You make a good case for simply upgrading to the backport version and
using passenger - I had it working flawlessly within minutes. I had
considered doing the upgrade but didn't realize how big of a
difference it would make. Thanks for the push required to take the
leap!

Just as a quick summary: I used the lenny backports to upgrade puppet
to 2.6.x and followed the instructions at
http://projects.puppetlabs.com/projects/puppet/wiki/Using_Passenger.
Did not run into any unexpected issues that wasn't covered in the
documentation.

Thanks again,
Jeff