Hi all,

I've recently started using "puppetmasterd --compile" to validate changes to
my manifests before I push them out onto the puppetmaster, which is a great
help in spotting syntax errors, missing resources and the like.

However, something I'd really like to be able to do, is to make a change
which _should_ have no effect on the manifest for a particular node, and
verify that it _does_ have no effect. This is hard to do at present, because
the ordering of elements inside the generated YAML is unpredictable - it
appears to change even between subsequent runs of an identical manifest, and
certainly between runs where the manifest has changed due to a
side-effect-free refactoring. This means that text-based diffing of the
generated YAML doesn't work.

Is there a way to force a consistent order on the generated YAML? Failing
that, does anyone have a recommendation for a "YAML diff" tool that can show
substantive differences between the compiled manifests ?

Cheers,

Chris