On Wed, Dec 29, 2010 at 7:28 AM, Scott <blueseas...@gmail.com> wrote:
> All,
>
> I'm looking for additional information regarding Puppet and Hudson.
> Specifically, I am looking to automatically push successful
> environment builds (say for Dev, QA, Production environments) from
> Hudson to Puppet.  Thus, when a puppet configuration is checked into
> Hudson and the build succeeds, I want that configuration pushed via
> Puppet to its managed servers.  A RedMonk podcast (http://
> www.redmonk.com/cote/2008/06/11/puppet-at-google-redmonk-radio-episode-48/)
> indicates Google uses this setup, and a few users here have alluded
> they have a similar setup.  However, I cannot find any documentation
> on how to integrate the two.  A short how-to or tutorial would be
> appreciated!

I think I was on that podcast, but can't bring myself to suffer
through listening to my own voice right now :) and I mustn't have been
clear. We didn't use Hudson at Google with Puppet.

We manually tested due to having so many laptop installations and
operating systems like OS X that are difficult to test full installs
programmatically with.

We used environments for the release process, along the lines of
Debian with unstable -> testing -> stable, and had things set up so
you could PXE boot against specific servers and environments. If that
process succeeded, we would promote the given environment through the
release process.

I do know other people have set up CI with Puppet/Hudson, so hopefully
they'll chime in here soon.