Hi Sean,

I'm one of the guys looking into Munki/Puppet integration. I hope to
have something hashed out very soon. For now, Nigel has outlined the
alternatives. I have a small wiki setup at
http://links.huronstudents.com/puppet that describes how I handle
packages, but everything is still quite intrusive.

If you've got Python chops and want to help with work on a Munki
provider, just let me know!

Gary

On Wednesday, December 29, 2010, Nigel Kersten <ni...@puppetlabs.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 29, 2010 at 4:59 PM, Sean Lazar <kn...@toaster.net> wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I've got puppet installed and working. I'm looking for a way to update
>> software on OS X desktops. I have successfully set up the appdmg package
>> provider, and I can update an application. How do you manage installs? I
>> want to update an application but not when the user is using the
>> application. Is there a way to check if an application is running and do the
>> package install later? How do people manage this? Or are more people leaning
>> toward Munki and letting Munki's dialog box interact with the user?
>
> This is difficult, and I believe that we shouldn't replicate the great
> work Munki is doing in this area, but should instead work on
> Munki/Puppet integration. We have some community members who have been
> looking into this recently who I'm sure will chime in here.
>
> I'm going to talk about the pkgdmg provider more here, as it offers
> more control than appdmg. I know you're using the latter, but you
> really have very little control there.
>
> If these are custom packages, you can do the work in the installation
> scripts, but that gets really old really quickly, and doesn't
> translate well to signed flat packages in any case.
>
> If I was spending time working on this problem right now, I'd be
> making a munki type/provider that uses Munki to do all this work as
> Greg has done a great job dealing with the user interaction process.
>
> There are other hacky solutions like setting up launchd to register
> for NSWorkspace notifications and watch for application quits if in
> use, then copying the files in, but they're not trivial to implement.

Gary Larizza

Director of Technology
Huron City Schools
http://www.huronhs.com