On Mon, 03 Jan 2011, Ace wrote:
> I will be managing the file /var/spool/cron/crontabs/root.
>
> I want the cron file to be same across all servers except some servers
> will have additional cron entries.

Since you want to avoid the puppet "cron" type, I'd suggest using the
"concat" module from <https://github.com/ripienaar/puppet-concat>.

> How can I append to the file /var/spool/cron/crontabs/root , something
> like appendifnosuchline in cfengine?

You could probably use augeas for that, if you try hard
enough, but I recommend concat.  Some of the comments at
<http://www.devco.net/archives/2010/02/19/building_files_from_fragments_with_puppet.php>
discuss tradeoffs between concat and augeas.

--apb (Alan Barrett)