On Jan 5, 2011, at 10:13 AM, Brice Figureau wrote:

> On 05/01/11 18:11, Sébastien Barthélémy wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I store camera pictures in a git repository, which became quite big:
>> 104 GB for the whole (non-bare) repository.
>>
>> I wanted to fix the files permissions, and thought puppet might be the
>> good tool for this (I like its declarative way of simplifying my
>> life).
>>
>> I gave it a try, with the following statements
>>
>> node "navi" {
>> file {
>>     "/Users/seb/Pictures/pictures/":
>>         mode => 0640,
>>         owner => "seb",
>>         group => "staff",
>>         recurse => true,
>>         ignore => ".git"
>>  }
>> file {
>>     "/Users/seb/Pictures/pictures/.encfs5/":
>>         mode => 0600,
>>         owner => "seb",
>>         group => "staff",
>>         recurse => true,
>>  }
>> file {
>>     "/Users/seb/Pictures/pictures/.git/":
>>         mode => 0600,
>>         owner => "seb",
>>         group => "staff",
>>         recurse => true,
>>  }
>> file {
>>     "/Users/seb/Pictures/pictures/.git/hooks/":
>>         mode => 0700,
>>         owner => "seb",
>>         group => "staff",
>>         recurse => true,
>>  }
>> }
>>
>> And a call to "sudo puppet -l /tmp/puppet.log ~/statement.pp"
>>
>> Well, that was 4 hours ago and since then, ruby is eating 100% of my CPU
>> (of one core of my 2.26GHz core 2 duo).
>> From the log file, I can tell that puppet is indeed fixing perms, at a
>> rate lower than one file per 10 seconds.
>>
>> I think find, xargs and chmod would take a few minutes at most (will try
>> later).
>>
>> Why is puppet so slow at this job? Is there any way I could improve the
>> speed?
>
> Puppet is md5 checksumming all your files and that is a loooong and
> slooow operation.
>
> If you run 2.6, you should add:
> checksum => none
>
> to your file resources, and it should be way faster.

I'm finding that with my version of puppet (2.6.4), the checksum line has no
effect on the run time when run on a directory containing 10 files that total
7.5GB.  I am not using the source parameter and it takes just over 2 seconds to
run with "checksum => none" or "checksum => md5".  My test computer is a Core 2
Duo running on a laptop.  I am not using a puppetmaster to test.

I'm still interested to see if adding that line helps though.