On Sat, Jan 8, 2011 at 1:02 PM, trey85stang <trey85st...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm trying to get an idea of what kind of backend setup I would need
> to run puppet to manage roughly 6000 hosts.
>
> I see puppet by iteself is limited to 10-20;  but with mongrel/apache
> that number shoots up but I am not sure by how much?
>
> Im still new to puppet and running it in a lab but want to take it to
> our production environment but there are some details that I need to
> work out but thought I would pose this question first since there are
> surely people who have already went through all this already.
>
> 1.  With a 1000mb connection,  how many clients can I serve with
> mongrel apache/setup?  I'm guessing around 200-300?  or can it take
> more?

The answer really depends on a lot of factors:
     - number of source files being managed (the files will only be
transfered if they differ, but it makes a separate rest call per host per
file to determine the current md5sum)
     - size of catalog (related to number of resources and relationships)
     - size of resports (if reporting is enabled)

Nodes per master usually has to do with CPU consumption on the master, the
major factors that contribute to CPU consumption are:
   - compilation of catalogs (it re-compiles every catalog per node per
request, there are non-trivial ways to get around this)
   - checking md5 hashes for source files, these checks happen per host, per
file, per run, and can be expensive (I would recommend using either package
management or the vcsrepo type for large collections of files)

> 2. Should I let a high availability apache frontend manage a puppet
> backend?
>
> ( i.e. load balance port 8140 from apache to multiple puppet backend
> servers like so:
> <Proxy balancer://puppetmaster>
>        BalancerMember http://10.0.0.10:18140
>        BalancerMember http://10.0.0.10:18141
>        BalancerMember http://10.0.0.10:18142
>        BalancerMember http://10.0.0.10:18143
>        BalancerMember http://10.0.0.11:18140
>        BalancerMember http://10.0.0.11:18141
>        BalancerMember http://10.0.0.11:18142
>        BalancerMember http://10.0.0.11:18143
>        BalancerMember http://10.0.0.12:18140
>        BalancerMember http://10.0.0.12:18141
>        BalancerMember http://10.0.0.12:18142
>        BalancerMember http://10.0.0.12:18143
> </Proxy>
> )

I use something like passenger behind apache on each host, then load balance
the apaches

> 3. What is the best way to manage client signing and keeping the pem/
> files in sync across such a backend?

There are two ways, either delegate one of the Masters to be the CA, or
terminate SSL on the load balancer