On Tue, Jan 11, 2011 at 02:09:27AM -0800, Exinferis wrote:
> But what we really want to achieve is not to register every node in
> our master configuration (hostnames can totally vary so no wildcard
> matching), but to give the nodes the possibility to request a specific
> class or to report themselves as a specific type of server.

I think that approach is fundamentally wrong.  I do not believe that a
puppetmaster should allow clients to decide which host they are, or
which configuration they receive.  The whole point about central
configuration is that you manage it centrally; if your clients can
decide, how do you determine what is going on without inspecting every
host directly?

If most of your hosts are going to have the same configuration, but some
will differ, why not use the default node for the common configuration
and make different entries for other hosts when you need to?  What do
you gain by having to go and make configuration changes on each host,
rather than just changing configurations in one place?  I can tell you
one thing you lose; you lose the ability to rebuild from scratch a node
that died (with, say, an unrecoverable hard disk).

If you really want to do this thing, you could achieve it by modifying
your default node configuration so that the extra configuration options
are contained in classes which are only included if certain facts are
true.  You then only create those facts on the hosts you want to have
those configurations.  I urge you not to do this.

--
Bruce

Hierophant: someone who remembers, when you are on the way down,
everything you did to them on the way up.