Hi, suppose puppet-old.domain is a CNAME pointing to puppet-new.domain,
and puppet-new.domain is running Apache (for SSL) with mod_proxy_balancer
to balance over some 10 puppetmaster processes. The configured
SSLCertificateFile in Apache is that of puppet-new.domain

How do I get a node to stop complaining when connecting to
puppet-old.domain (ending up at puppet-new.domain through the CNAME)?

node# puppetd --test --server=puppet-old.domain
err: Could not retrieve catalog from remote server: hostname was not match
with the server certificate
warning: Not using cache on failed catalog
err: Could not retrieve catalog; skipping run

I tried fiddling with certdnsnames on both the server side and the client
side, but without effect.

The reason I want this to work is because I want to be able to remove the
puppet-old server without having to wait for every single node. There are
dozens who haven't connected to the puppet-old server in quite a while for
various reasons (down, hanging puppetd, network issues, ...), and I'm sure
most of them will after a reboot, but I'd like to redirect those to the
puppet-new server without having to keep the puppet-old server running.

Robert Scheer
XS4ALL Systeembeheer