Sorry, I missed that part. Site is a define. Looking at the logs I'm
also getting a different message at random:

Could not run Puppet configuration client: Parameter alias failed:
Munging failed for value "scisoc.uwaterloo.ca" in class alias: Cannot
alias Mysql::Database-user[scisoc_drupal6-monitoring] to
scisoc.uwaterloo.ca; resource Mysql::Database-
user[scisoc.uwaterloo.ca] already exists

I only get one error logged per puppet run so I hadn't seen this other
message until now. Any idea what it could mean?

I'm still not sure why this problem would persist after reverting the
puppet config for this client back to the state before it was
happening, something seems to be preventing the client from getting
back to the state it was in before the change that caused it was made.