On 01/18/2011 03:06 PM, Avi Miller wrote:
> Mike Lococo wrote:
>> 2) Use the yum-driven options *AND* run your own satellite server so you
>> can ping it as often as you like.
>
> You don't need a Satellite Server for this, just a plain Yum server will
> do, which is essentially just httpd + createrepo for RHEL5. This is
> about 2 seconds worth of work. You can then send down a custom Yum
> repository configuration with the Yumrepo[] type, something that is
> unique in Puppet to RHEL-based systems.

I don't follow this.  RedHat doesn't make binary packages available, so
what do you fill your yum repo with?

Also, I definitely understand that there are ways to work around this
bug.  But there's also clearly interest in getting it fixed, as
evidenced by a community-submitted patch, and interest in using the
feature if/when its released as evidence by the number of folks who have
reported it and by the strong feelings in this thread.

> I couldn't imagine doing any RPM package installation with an RPM type.
> Everything should come down from a Yum server, if only for version and
> dependency management.

We have been discussing the yum provider all along, it makes use of the
rpm command for certain operations.  For example, rpm is used implement
"ensure => absent" package removals, and I believe also to check whether
the package is installed before running yum when "ensure => present" is
specified.

Using rpm for these operations is good because it saves unnecessary load
on the yum server.  However, without batched transactions some packages
cannot be removed without specifying "ensure => purged" and incurring
the yum hit for every puppet-run, and then using one of the workarounds
I previously discussed to avoid getting blacklisted by RedHat.  Plus the
performance of one-yum-run per package is terrible, both in terms of
long puppet-runs and load on the yum-server.

Regards,
Mike Lococo