On Jan 26, 1:58 am, Jakub Pastuszek <jpastus...@newbay.com> wrote:

> Is it possible to tell Puppet to ensure a package is installed before
> using a custom provider that needs it for operation?
> Or I need to make sure that base OS contains all the commands that any
> provider may ever need?

I seem to recall that this is a known issue, but not solved yet. I'd
suggest reposting to puppet-dev.

A common pattern to work around this is to use a 'boot strap' when
provisioning a node. This boot strap only contains enough resources to
get the machine, and puppet, to a workable state. After that a second
'full' run is done which applies the typical catalog. To implement
this I prefer just using tags, though I know others have used stages
and environments as well.