> ...because a whole bunch of init scripts on Debian didn't provide a
> functional 'status' method, which meant that puppet would fail in a
> whole other exciting way. :(

So I guess the best way to solve it on my end would be to simply specify
hasstatus and such per service I guess?

> We already have a bug report about this, and the problem is that we
> can't just tell users of stable to stick with older version of puppet
> – so the Debian provider needs to support both r5 and r6, which means
> detecting the availability of the 'disable' option and using it when
> possible.
>
> Given we are under some release pressure at the moment ourselves you
> can move this along by providing concrete information about how we can
> determine if 'disable' is supported, ideally without mistaking "failed
> to disable" for "can't disable".

> Patches also happily accepted, of course. :)

Aside from being a pretty horrible programmer, I also know next to nothing
about Ruby. :)
That said, the only things I can think of off the top of my head are
ugly(checking for the enable/disable syntax line, checking /etc/debian_version,
etc).
I guess the "least ugly" thing I can think of is to check the sys-rc version
with something like "dpkg-query -W -f='${Version}\n' sysv-rc", seems like
enable/disable was included in 2.87, Deb5 runs 2.86 and Deb6 runs 2.88.
Then again, with the subversions that's gonna be annoying unless you cut it off
at 4 characters, and that's ugly.
Ah well, like I said, I'm a pretty horrible programmer. :)

> You seem to pretty much have it nailed down; the only other
> consideration is that puppet is often backported in Debian, and we do
> expect to support non-Debian packages and custom backports (more or
> less) in the code.

Any idea how people in general are dealing with this on Deb6 boxes?
I guess a pair of enable/disable parameters with custom commands to enable or
disable service would solve it in a way.
Then again I can just use an exec for that myself.

> Regards,
>     Daniel
> --
> ⎋ Puppet Labs Developer – http://puppetlabs.com
> ✉ Daniel Pittman <dan...@puppetlabs.com>
> ✆ Contact me via gtalk, email, or phone: +1 (877) 575-9775
> ♲ Made with 100 percent post-consumer electrons

Thanks for the reply, much appreciated.
Oh and sorry for the horrible formatting, I'm stuck in Outlook Web Access hell.