Hi: I'm trying to configure Puppet on Ubuntu, and strangely I am never
able to generate a certificate because my server never shows any
pending certificate requests.

Put differently, on the server I am running puppetmasterd and on the
client I am able to connect to the server, but the client continues
printing

   notice: Did not receive certificate
   warning: peer certificate won't be verified in this SSL session

and yet the server never sees the request

   mrisher@lab2$ puppetca --list
   [nothing shows up]
   mrisher@lab2$ puppetca --sign clientname.domain.com
   clientname.domain.com
   err: Could not call sign: Could not find certificate request for
clientname.domain.com

There was a suggestion that autosign was happening, but that does not
seem to be it. There is no autosign.conf file, and when I run
`puppetmasterd --no-daemonize -d -v` I receive the following output:
   info: Could not find certificate for 'clientname.domain.com'
every time the client says
   notice: Did not receive certificate

I checked the certs on the server and there don't seem to be any:

mrisher@lab2:~$ puppetca --list --all
mrisher@lab2:~$ sudo puppetca --list --all
+ lab2.domain.com          // this is the server (master)
mrisher@lab2:~$ sudo puppetca --list
[blank line]
mrisher@lab2:~$

Note: This is mostly running the default install from Ubuntu, if that
gives any leads.

Thanks for any help out there.