You could use the resource description tool, in a generate call in the
appropriate resource, to have puppet ruun the process of rebuilding the
appropriate manifest content on demand.  (Probably needs a little scripting
wrapped around it to get the content in the right format.)

For the file content I would add another fileserver mount for /home on that
system, then serve the content into the appropriate target location.

That way you don't need to copy anything, including the data about the
users, in a static fashion.

Regards,
    Daniel
--