On Feb 17, 5:33 pm, Bryan <bmaupinc...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm using puppet 0.25.1.  I've got a simple resource:
>
> exec { "/bin/ls $oracle_base/dba/bin/database_backup.ksh":
>     logoutput => on_failure,
>
> }
>
> and I don't want it to log every time it's successfully run:
>
> $ sudo tail -F /var/log/messages | grep puppetd
> Feb 17 16:36:11 test puppetd[26614]: (//my_module/Exec[/bin/ls /u01/
> app/oracle/dba/bin/database_backup.ksh]/returns) executed successfully
>
> but logoutput => on_failure doesn't suppress the above message.
>
> Is that parameter not available in my version of puppet, or am I
> perhaps misunderstanding its purpose?  I'm guessing the latter since
> it looks like it was introduced 3 years ago.

logoutput is about whether the command's standard output is copied
into Puppet's log.  If that's still not clicking for you, try changing
to logoutput => true to see the difference, especially when the target
file is present.  (When its argument is absent, ls writes to standard
error, which I think Puppet always copies to its log.)

> In the meantime, I'm using this ugly, redundant hack to do what I
> want:
>
> exec { "/bin/ls $oracle_base/dba/bin/database_backup.ksh":
>     unless => "/bin/ls $oracle_base/dba/bin/database_backup.ksh",
>
> }

This would be less redundant, but still hackish:

exec { "check_database_backup.ksh":
    command => "/bin/false",
    unless => "/bin/ls $oracle_base/dba/bin/database_backup.ksh 2> /
dev/null",
}

I'm not sure exactly what you're after, but a File resource is usually
better than an Exec for managing and monitoring files.  For instance,
it is possible that this would serve your purposes:

file { "$oracle_base/dba/bin/database_backup.ksh":
    ensure => present,
    audit => all
}

It should produce output to the Puppet log only if the file is not
initially present.  However, it might create an empty file (and
subsequently not log anything while that file remains); if that
matters to you then test.  Also, the resource will not fail if the
file is absent, which an Exec could do.

If all you want to do is test for the presence of a file, however,
then really you should create a custom fact (which is easy) instead of
attempting to use a resource.  That will fit much more naturally into
the Puppet Way, and it will be a lot more flexible for you.

John