On Fri, Feb 18, 2011 at 09:09, Thomas Bellman <bell...@nsc.liu.se> wrote:
> On 2011-02-18 17:16, Derek J. Balling wrote:
>
>> But also my complaint is: Why *isn't* puppet-agent noticing
>> that resolv.conf has changed? This seems like something that
>> would only be caused by not using the standard gethostbyname()
>> calls and such, > since *those* should reflect the change in
>> resolv.conf almost immediately.... :-/
>
> Except that they don't...  At least the GNU libc implementation does
> not re-read resolv.conf unless you call res_init().  I'm attaching
> a test program that you can use to verify it yourself.  It will call
> gethostbyname() twice, optionally re-initialize the resolver before
> the second call.  You are supposed to change your resolv.conf between
> the two calls.

Just to be specific: puppet doesn't do anything except use those
standard functions, so we are not actually capable of doing anything
portable to solve these problems.  It really isn't so much "puppet
ignores the change to..." as "the OS libraries ignore..."

Daniel
--
⎋ Puppet Labs Developer – http://puppetlabs.com
✉ Daniel Pittman <dan...@puppetlabs.com>