On 21 Feb 2011, at 15:49, Felix Frank wrote:

> On 02/21/2011 05:39 AM, 暁華 管 wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I installed puppet 0.25.4 on ubuntu 10.04. It was ok until puppet
>> client and server were intalled. But when I tried to execute the
>> following command, the error, "Could not request certificate:
>> undefined method `closed?' for nil:NilClass'", occurred.
>>
>> sudo puppetd --test --verbose --server SERVER_NAME
>>
>> Could anyone adivse me?
>>
>> Thanks.
>>

> Hi,
>
> have you tried the --waitforcert parameter?
>
> Also, I'll take the liberty and paste Patrick's default reply to this
> problem:
>
> This error is a bug that is fixes in later versions of puppet.  It
> means, something went wrong (this might be your fault) and the cleanup
> code failed (this part isn't your fault).
>
> More information at:
> http://projects.puppetlabs.com/issues/3101
>
> Regards,
> Felix

While Patrick's default reply is perfectly true and upgrading will probably fix
this it isn't helpful if for some reason you need to run standard 10.04 LTS
packages from the main repository and are therefore stuck on Puppet 0.25.4

When I had the same error I found that it was a problem with my client finding
the master.

I assume SERVER_NAME is the server's fqdn similar to myserver.domain.com ?
Can you ping SERVER_NAME from the client?
Is there a firewall between the client and server, if so is port 8140 open?
(assuming you are using the default)

Try with --waitforcert as Felix suggests with...

sudo puppetd --server myserver.domain.com --waitforcert 60 --test

Cheers

Paul