On 2011-02-25 13:27, Dave Augustus wrote:

> I have added the following in my puppetmaster.conf file:
>
> [production]
>     manifest = $vardir/env/production/manifests/site.pp
>     modulepath = $vardir/env/production/modules:$vardir/env/common/modules
> [test]
>     manifest = $vardir/env/test/manifests/site.pp
>     modulepath = $vardir/env/test/modules:$vardir/env/common/modules
> [development]
>     manifest = $vardir/env/development/manifests/site.pp
>     modulepath = $vardir/env/development/modules:$vardir/env/common/modules
>
> On each client, in puppet.conf:
>
> [main]
>         environment = test
>
> The end result is 3 sets of manifests and modules. I then can move a
> module between the environments as needed.

But you can't have different versions of the external node classifier
script in your environments.  You can't try out a new version of that
in development, while still having the tried and trusted version
running in production.

Unless you go for a wrapper script that just digs out the environment
from /var/lib/puppet/yaml/facts/NODENAME.yaml and execs the script
that belongs to that environment.  And except for the part of digging
through a YAML file, it is a pretty easy thing to do, but it is a tiny
bit ugly.

        /Bellman