Hello Puppet World -

My company is in the early phase of building out a configuration
automation solution using Puppet. As we hash out the design, one of
the biggest questions that keeps coming up is how and *where* we
should be defining nodes.

At the moment we are using external nodes. We have a single XML file
with a custom schema that defines a list of servers and which group
they belong to, along with some other attributes. This is working fine
at the moment, but it feels a little dirty. If we ever need to add in
additional attributes to make available to Puppet we'll need to
redefine our schema and potentially have to rewrite some of our xpath
queries.

I've looked at LDAP and it seems like a much more elegant solution.
You can add additional attributes which then get bound "for free" to
Puppet variables. I've stood up an OpenLDAP server and added the
Puppet schema. I went through the process of converting all of the
nodes declared in the XML to LDIF and added them to the directory and
everything looks good.

I was told recently at a Puppet workshop that using LDAP for managing
node information is not advised. Anybody care to comment? What is it
about using LDAP that's not a good idea? One of the main concerns from
my colleagues is that we'd be introducing another central point of
failure. We would lose all Puppet functionality if the LDAP server
became unresponsive. If we stay with the XML file, we have more
"stability". We also have the advantage of being able to version
control our configuration...

Thanks in advance for your time.

Lars