I would like to follow up on this issue, because it was never really
addressed, as the OP switched to nginx.

I am experiencing a few of those "finished, yet execution expired" runs, and
I can see from the agent's run (using --trace, as suggested by Jeff) that
there's a timeout (/usr/lib/ruby/1.8/timeout.rb:64:in `rbuf_fill').

Interestingly enough, this event occurs systematically on one type of hosts
(I only use role based conf defined by environment), while all other types
are  completing their runs successfully.

Is this the right thread to post in or would it be better to open a new one,
yet with the same very effective subject?

Many thanks,

Angelo