Hi Brian

The problem isn't the lack of output from the puppet custom function. I have
written some that return results.
I used puts statements in the example to show the absence of result from the
%x[] statement without having to write some convoluted manifest and puppet
output.

The %x[] statement runs and returns a result if executed on the command line
using
    > ruby myfile.rb

        cmd = "/usr/bin/svn ls http://url_of_my_repositorys_tags |
/usr/bin/tail -1"
        puts cmd
        puts %x[ #{cmd} ]

    outputs:
        my_tag_name/

Any ideas why the same command would stop running once wrapped in puppet?
If I run it using system(), I get "True" as the result, but that's not what
I want