Got it!

It looks like I still had a manifest specified in the [main] section
of puppet.conf, AND via a PUPPETMASTER_MANIFEST declaration in the /
etc/sysconfig/puppetmaster file which made it a little tricky to track
down :)  Once I removed those and let it fall back to the
[environment] sections all was good.

Thanks for the help.

Cheers,
-elliott-