On 03/24/2011 06:32 PM, Arnau Bria wrote:
Hi again,

I'm cleaning my DB (which was 15GB) following:
https://github.com/puppetlabs/puppet-dashboard

I did:

rake RAILS_ENV=production reports:prune upto=1 unit=wk
rake RAILS_ENV=development reports:prune upto=1 unit=wk

(It has been running for about 3 months)

and after:

rake RAILS_ENV=production db:raw:optimize
rake RAILS_ENV=development db:raw:optimize

It has removed lots of entries, but it's still 15GB.

Am I doing something wrong? why is it not decreasing its size?

TIA,
Arnau

This is because the dashboard uses InnoDB tables. You'll probably have a huge `ibdata` file in /var/lib/mysql/ somewhere. It's a known bug but the `ibdata` file grows but doesn't shrink.

http://bugs.mysql.com/bug.php?id=1341

I'd suggest making MySQL use a different file per *.ibd file as it makes it easier to see which table is the culprit. From there you should be able to figure out a way to have the files re-created once you've pruned them (albeit no "good" way that I know of).

http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/innodb-multiple-tablespaces.html

--
Cody Robertson
1-800-859-8803 ext. 5