On Thu, Mar 31, 2011 at 8:37 AM, Clay Caviness <ccavin...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 31, 2011 at 11:29, Dan Bode <d...@puppetlabs.com> wrote:
>

>> On Thu, Mar 31, 2011 at 8:20 AM, Clay Caviness <ccavin...@gmail.com>wrote:
>>
>>> Reading through the recently published style guide, I see
>>> http://docs.puppetlabs.com/guides/style_guide.html#tests saying:
>>>
>>> "All manifests should have a corresponding test manifest in the module’s
>>> tests directory."
>>>

>> the idea is to have maintain basic tests written in Puppet for all of your
>> manifests in a module.
>>

> they can serve not only as basic smoke tests, but also as a reference for
>> example code of how a class/define should be used.
>>

> But when/how are these tests run?

the tests should be run during development, I usually run them with --noop

I have been working on some other utilities as well for integrating these
smoke tests into a build pipeline

https://github.com/puppetlabs/interface-utils

>> the simplest tests would be:
>>
>> class{ 'foo': }
>>
>> more complicated tests would involve specifying required dependencies and
>> parameters.
>>

> Are there examples and documentation on how they should work available
> anywhere?

probably not, I am more than happy to discuss either here or <bodepd> on
freenode :(