On Sat, Apr 02, 2011 at 05:05:18PM -0700, Nigel Kersten wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 2, 2011 at 4:29 PM, Bill Weiss
> <bwe...@backstopsolutions.com> wrote:
>
> > In a similar situation (ruby-1.8.x and REE installed on a
> > server), I found that mangling the PATH to point at the
> > appropriate ruby did it.  That only works if your entire puppet
> > config (including puppet itself?) works with that ruby, of
> > course.
> >
> > Otherwise, I think the exec is it.  Unless someone (one of us?)
> > patches the gem provider to take a PATH?  I don't know if that's
> > useful for anything other than the sad case of too many rubys
> > (rubies?) being installed at once, or if this is a common
> > problem.
>
> The gem package provider doesn't specify a given PATH for the gem
> command.
>
> If you construct your PATH for the puppet process such that the
> desired gem is found first, that will work,

I tried that; the PATH that puppet reported via exec + logoutput +
echo was very much not the path that I had set before I ran it.

I just found this:

  Exec { path => "/opt/ruby/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/bin:/sbin" }

So clearly *that* wasn't a good test.

Ah, the joys of adminning something I didn't set up.

Anyways.

Ah.

The problem, it turns out, has naught to do with paths: "prawn-core"
being installed causes a package statement for "prawn" to not
activate with the "gem" provider.

-_-

I'ma call that a "bug" right there (and it's in the system;
http://projects.puppetlabs.com/issues/3127 ; so is the path issue;
http://projects.puppetlabs.com/issues/5207 ).

Sorry for wasting y'all's time on the wrong track.

-Robin

--
http://singinst.org/ :  Our last, best hope for a fantastic future.
Lojban (http://www.lojban.org/): The language in which "this parrot