On Wed, Apr 6, 2011 at 2:50 PM, John Chris Richards
<john.chris.richa...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all
>
> Firstly, I am new in configuration management and all I know about
> watching files is that client checks a file's check sum every t hour
> and if a change has occurred then it gets the file from the server.
>
> I wonder that if a user changes a file, does the puppet client wait
> end of the time (t) or is there way to say client if a change occurs
> in a specific file then make an immediate pull? I mean, I don't want
> to wait until the time is up. Is there a way to make this in puppet?

Puppet agent runs periodically to enforce the catalog, it can replace
the file if it detects any changes, but it doesn't monitor the file to
trigger runs. I suppose you can run puppet continuously (not
recommended), but perhaps if you give some insight on what you are
trying to accomplish would give us a better idea how to achieve it
with puppet. Are you trying to trigger a puppet run when a particular
file changes? Are you trying to monitor several files?

Thanks,

Nan