O.K.  I think I have this working.

With no node defined at all, puppetd refused to run on any node.  It
would check in with Puppetmaster, correctly negotiate SSL, but then
not find a node definition it just quit with the error message
mentioned above.   So right now I have a default node defined, which
allows me to run puppetd on just about any client, running the simple
class sudo from  one of he getting started guides:

node default {
        include sudo
}

I assume from here I can define particular hosts, etc.  I had defined
particular hosts in the past, and they did not work, but perhaps I had
the syntax wrong or some such.

Frankly was just a little taken aback since most of the basic
tutorials demonstrate running things through puppet without nodes
explicitly defined, but in my case it seems like it was absolutely
required.  Perhaps I have a weird setting somewhere, I do not know.
So far I have not found one, but maybe I will in time.

Thank you to everyone who tried to help.